Sunday, November 13, 2011

An Epic Finale

There is far too much to write and I've waited too long to remember all the details.
Here is the post from Enworld. Sorry I don't have a complete write up

Entering Vecna's chamber, a 20x20 square room, there was a pedestal in the center of the room, surrounded by a pool of lava. A small skull was on the pedestal. There are 3 Vecna's Silences(bumped to level 31, but no longer solo or elite) flying about the room. In an effort to confound my players, and limit their focus fire, I split Vecna into three beings, each one seated on a throne, one on each wall, excluding the side they came in on. On paper, each of these was an Aspect of Vecna, bumped up to level 30.

During Vecna's obligatory monologue, I gave them all the ability to spend a surge, and gave the cleric back 2 healing words since she had none. However, the tradeoff was painful as Vecna called forth the eyes of Acererak, from the rogues pouch, and his remaining essence from the statue fragments, bringing one of the most dreaded enemies the party had faced back. I also leveled him up to 31, but reduced his HP. I expected him to be a distraction, but he was a substantial thread almost till the end.

Dropping each, the hand, eye, and heart, into the Bag of Annihilation, inflicted the loss of a healing surge on the character, and 15, non-resistable damage to everyone in 3 squares. I made this a minor action, but once you're dazed by Acererak, it's a tough choice to do this, or act another way. Especially for the Warlord.

At this point, combat began. To increase his threat level, I had decided Vecna would go twice every turn. First, and then in the regular init order. So with 3 Aspects floating around, Vecna got 6 attacks per round. With a large room to work in, and monsters not flocking around them, the players didn't have their usual synergy in the first round and were not able to control the battlefield. I hammered the Warlord. He eventually went way negative, something like 11 points away from negative bloodied. The cleric brought him back, but she was eventually killed as well. She came back via a Phoenix Ring. I continued to spread damage around a bit, there was lots of restraining and weakness against the heroes as well as the threat of Acererak stealing someone's soul. Healing surges were in very short supply for several players, exactly as I had hoped.

Sometime in the third round, after doing the bad thing of spreading damage around, the heroes managed to kill one of the Aspects. I had only given these 250 HP or so. Once one was destroyed the other 2 disappeared and the true Vecna formed on the pedestal. His aura 10, 50 necrotic damage was viscious even with the mass resistance to necrotic the Wizard had cast. On top of all that, I had planned for Vecna to "Shatter the Battlefield". This was a result of the players almost always controlling the battlefield by round 2 in a battle. Basically, the floor shattered and lava bubbled up from all over the place. Additionally, I "flung" the players to the far corners of the map. There was no damage, but being spread out and far apart was definitely not to their liking. My initial thought on this was to strand each player on their own island in a sea of lava. There wasn't a need for that when I used the power. I also considered having the lava spread as the encounter went on, but my hands were busy enough.

I gave Vecna the ability to teleport 8 and after chasing him around a bit, killing the last of the Silences, and witnessing Acererak flee at the end, the party came out victorious. Several had no healing surges left and were injured, but everyone survived and enjoyed the battle immensely.

No comments: